KHANPUR DAM PROJECT
The Khanpur Dam is a multi-purpose project aimed at supplying water for irrigation as well as for municipal use. The project is located in District Haripur of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa at a distance of 50 km north of Islamabad. Khanpur Dam is a 167 feet high earth and rockfill dam built on the Haro River which is a small tributary of the Indus River.
Khanpur Dam Project provides regulated supply of water for irrigation to the adjoining area in District Haripur (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) and Districts Rawalpindi and Attock (Punjab). It also caters to the municipal water requirements of Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
The live storage of Khanpur Reservoir is 79,980 acre-feet. Water from Khanpur Reservoir is released through two canals known as the Left Bank Canal (LBC) and the Right Bank Canal (RBC). The RBC which has a design discharge of 110 ft3/s (cusecs) is meant only for irrigation whereas the LBC having a design discharge of 440 ft3/s (cusecs), supplies water both for irrigation as well as municipal and industrial purposes. The lengths of LBC and RBC are 18 km and 11 km respectively. Both Canals were handed over to the Provincial Irrigation Departments of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab in 1985 and 1987 respectively.
The Left Bank Canal (LBC) at its tail-end delivers water to the Sangjani Raw Water Reservoir which is controlled by the Capital Development Authority (CDA). From CDA’s Sangjani Reservoir water is supplied, after treatment, to Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
Khanpur Dam Project was completed and made operational in 1984-85 at a cost of Rs. 1385.10 million. The beneficiaries of Khanpur Dam include:
- Irrigation Department Govt. of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Irrigation Department Govt. of Punjab.
- Rawalpindi/Islamabad: Capital Development Authority (CDA).
- Fecto Cement Industries.
- Heavy Industry Taxila (HIT).
- Project Management Organization (PMO).
- University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Taxila.